Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday!!!


This is the first Black Friday that my mom and I haven't gotten up at the crack of dawn for this:
We typically just enjoy the hustle and bustle of everyone, sort of our kick off to a wonderful holiday season. But this year, since I've pretty much had all my Christmas shopping done, and I get up at 4:45am every other day of the week to go workout, I decided to stay home instead with my family!

I made us some Apple Cinnamon Flax Pancakes for breakfast! These were awesome. My kids didn't particularly like them, but that's not because they weren't incredible. I'm having a battle over food lately with my youngest. He is by far my more picky eater. It's the war of the wills right now. He is not adventuresome when it comes to eating new foods. He's particularly fine with eating the same thing everyday, that he knows he likes.


A little later in the day I got a bit hungry and I decided to make myself some chocolate Almond Milk using this product.
I didn't particularly like it. I guess I was expecting your old fashion chocolate milk taste. That's not what I got. If you drink this, how do you prepare yours???
For lunch I decided to make some Spinach Pies. While I was prepping the pies I got hungry, especially since the chocolate milk thing didn't go over so well, and munched on carrots and about 1/2 the tub of Sabra Roasted Red Pepper hummus! YUMMY!
To make the pies (which are super duper easy) I use one large bag of frozen (thawed) spinach leaves. Chop up one small onion. Juice of 2 lemons. Mix together.
For the dough I use the low fat crescent rolls (if you have a better suggestion I'm all ears). I roll each triangle out to make it larger. Place a large spoonful of spinach mixture on top.
Fold dough over on one side and pinch close.
Fold the other two sides over as well, pinching close.
Bake them on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
These are so good. I actually ended up eating FOUR of them! For some reason I have been ravenous today! I was going to make a salad to go along with it but after shoving 4 in my pie hole I got momentarily full and decided against the salad!
All day today I have been so hungry. Like my body used to feel all the time. I know I shouldn't be hungry based on the number of calories I've consumed so I'm guessing that it's actually my body searching for a nutrient that I haven't given it today. Looking back on my eats so far I realized that it's VERY HIGH in carbs, and pretty low on veggies and greens! So I made myself a big ol' green monster!A LOAD of kale, banana, 2 scoops of Chocolate SuperGreens and water. Added it to my wine glass again...just feeling in the mood lately to drink from that cup. It just makes the drink FEEL special! :)

I was still in a baking kinda mood, and we were out of our granola bars, so I decided to make more of THESE except this time I decided to make them chocolate berry bars. I added the chocolate supergreens again (probably 1/4 cup), vegan chocolate chips and dried cranberries.

They turned out INCREDIBLE! So good for you too! Excited about having a bar tomorrow!

There have been many of you that I see that are stopping by my blog lately...but you're remaining quiet! :) Come on out...I'd love to hear from you!

Question for you all, especially those with kids: what do you do, or what have you done, especially with a picky eater to convert them over to a more vegetable based diet? I'm not expecting them to become vegans, or even vegetarians (Daddy also still loves meat) but I don't cook two meals. Therefore, when we are eating meat I just don't grab a portion of it for my plate, but when the main dish is vegan, I expect them to eat it, or go without. I've had many a tears lately, but it's just not something I'm willing to give on. I've NEVER been a mom that will cook two meals, vegan or not.

So what do you do for your family??

7 comments:

  1. Pancakes look yummy!

    I have NEVER been a part of that crowd and NEVER will :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of great entrees that are vegan that kids will enjoy eating. It's just a matter of finding dishes the whole family likes. It also depends on how restrictive you are of different items. A great place to start is to take traditional meals and veganize them. Some easy examples are: bean burritos instead of chicken or beef, pasta with any number of vegan sauces, bean and nut loaf instead of meatloaf, or stuffed baked potatoes loaded with broccoli and a vegan sauce over top.

    My three favorite vegetarian family cookbooks are: The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook (only whole food recipes), The Vegetarian Family Cookbook, Raising Vegetarian Children. All three cookbooks have tons of healthy vegan kid friendly recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you stuck with your guns and ate what you felt was right for YOU! Next year I'm going to do the same, AND make more of an effort to make dishes that suit me. I didn't this year because I thought we had way too much food as it is, but then I ate stuff I really didn't want to. Your plate looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That crowd is a big reason why I have NEVER shopped on Black Friday. It is just not worth it to me! I'm envious that you already have all your shopping done...I'm not normally a procrastinator except when it comes to Christmas shopping! The pancakes look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must make those spinach pies!

    How did you get all your shopping done?? I'm not even sure what to buy?? Send me an email and give me a clue about what I should be looking for....I feel clueless this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those spinach pies look yummy! How did they go over with the kiddos?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lara!! Welcome to the blog! :)

    I actually haven't given these to my kids. Preston and I make a stash for us! :) We LOVE them. I could see Ethan enjoying them, he's my veggie guy, but I'm not sure about Ashton...they still have a spinach taste to them. I'm slowly weaning him especially into a more veggie lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete