Monday, November 30, 2009

Just like Orange Chicken!!!

Two days ago I blogged about how I was feeling so ravenous all day long. I attributed it to a lack of greens in my diet that day. It was my body searching out for nutrients it wanted. I wasn't "really" hungry...how could I have been...I ate plenty of calories, yet I found myself hungry. As soon as I gave it a green monster shake the hunger for the rest of the evening was completely gone. I find that SO totally cool and interesting.

Our bodies are such amazing things.

Since that day I've paid close attention to my carb to greens intake to make sure I don't put my body in unnecessary nutrient shortage. Plus, who likes feeling hungry all day? NOT ME!

This morning I decided to change it up a bit and NOT have my standard oatmeal bowl! Boy o' boy did I certainly enjoy THIS breakfast! It was really really really good!

Left over (2) Apple Cinnamon Flax Pancakes with 1 Tbsp. of Almond Butter
Around 10:30 I felt my body signaling that it was hungry again so I decided to GREEN-IT-UP and make a Green Monster Smoothie!

Filled the blender full of kale and 1/2 cup of Almond Milk
Then added one scoop of Amazing Grass Chocolate Superfood
And one frozen banana...chopped up to make it easier to blend.
(Oh Santa...I'd really really love a VitaMix for Christmas!!!)
And Voila! One AWESOME smoothie!

Lunch did NOT let me down either. I was eagerly anticipating leftovers from the Meaty Vegan Green Bean Casserole I made last night. I stuck it back in the oven to re-crisp the crumbs on top. This has got to be one of my favorite dishes right now. I am soooo going to be making this for potlucks, etc. that we go to! Vegan or not, it will be a favorite!
For dinner tonight I wanted to try to recreate the essence of my meal at Tang's Thai restaurant the other night. It had a sweet orange/pineapple type sauce over it. After a quick internet search I found a recipe that I was able to tweek and turn into a very good meal!

Orange Chik'N

Morning Star Chik'N Patties (or marinated extra firm tofu)
1/8 tsp. ginger
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Cup orange juice
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance spread
2 cups brown rice

Cook your brown rice & Chik'N patties as directed. While they are cooking combine the rest of the ingredients in skillet and heat on low until it bubbles and thickens.

I also decided to add some lightly roasted carrots and zucchini.
Once everything is done cooking, arrange how you see fit. I added the veggies first, scoop of brown rice next and chopped up Chik'N on top. Then drizzled the sauce over it.

I meant to add some sesame seeds, but totally forgot until I was half way thru eating this dish. I really liked this. I could have added twice the amount of veggies than I did. Next time I'll double the zucchini and add water chestnuts as well. Perhaps even some grilled pineapple would be great too!


Curious about your experience with eating greens.

Do you find yourself LESS hungry and more satisfied when you fill up on greens? What is your favorite way of incorporating them into your diet?

1 comment:

  1. Another yummy looking recipe. I'm trying to get G to drink a healthier protein drink, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete